#73 Monastery of Molista


The picturesque monastery (alt. 950 m.), is 21.5 miles far from Konitsa. It is a small village, which until recently was a settlement of Molista. It is situated on the southwestern tip of Mount Kleftis within dense vegetation of oak and more.

At a short distance from the village is the Monastery of Virgin Mary (Abbey Molistas) from which the village took its new name. The monastery is located in a wooded area just above the village monastery and you can reach it if you take the left fork in the main road, just before entering the village.

Construction Data

The initial Monastery of the Virgin of Molista was built in 1672 in a south of today's position. It was rebuilt in the 19th century, according to inscriptions are built into the Catholic (1819 and 1892).

Of the surviving buildings in good condition is the west wing of the cells of the Catholic, the Priory, and the Conciliar, now destined for use as a museum site. To these are added the so-called "Krevatas Bey" on the southwest corner is a two-storey building, a tribute a Bey of Konitsa, as a sign of gratitude for the miraculous healing of his sick daughter. The Catholic is a three-aisled basilica with a four-sided roof and double gallery. The woodcut iconostasis comes from the old Catholic.

Also of interest is the pen dance bearing inlay of mother of pearl, and two stone carved candelabra with gentekia.

From the relics of the monastery stand three miraculous icons: one big of Lady Odigitria, a second small of the Stratiotissa since 1783 (since it was transferred to the streets / walkers of the province, from patient to patient, for the sake of healing and blessing) - which was stolen in 1976, and a third, smaller, of the Virgin with the nickname Unwithering Rose. It is noted that the surviving relics of the monastery today are kept in intimate metropolis.

Historical Data

In emergencies (drought, diseases) there was a procession of the miraculous image of the Virgin in the village. The monastery celebrates on November the 21th, with a grand celebration.

In the past, Molista along with the Monastery and Gannadio formed a single community that was divided into three separate later.

Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The name of the village comes from the extension of the name of the monastery of Molyvdoskepastos around the village during the Ottoman period. In sources it is referred as Depolitsa or Dipalitsa and occurs from the late Byzantine period (13th century). In 1298 it was the headquarters of the diocese of Pogoniani. After the fall of Constantinople it was placed fifth in the list of dependent Patriarchate Dioceses. Cathedral of the Diocese was the church of the Holy Apostles, today's parish church of the community. Throughout the Ottoman period are testified elements of the religious and social life of the village. Today it belongs to the Municipality of Konitsa and the Metropolis of Dryinoupolis, Pogoniani and Konitsa. In the village and around of it a number of church monuments has survived, irrefutable evidence of the unbroken continuity of life and the role of culture in the settlement of the area by the middle Byzantine period until today.

Konitsa during recent years has become one of the most attractive destinations for Greek and foreign travelers, since apart from hosting countless activities, it also has numerous places of historical, cultural, civil and natural interest.

From the Early Christian and Byzantine period (4th century AD - 1430), some of the monuments preserved are, the castle (14th century), the church of the Red Panagia (late 13th century) in the Konitsa field, the temple of St. Nikolaos (14th century), the temple of St. Dimitrios (11th century) and the Monasteries of Theotokos (14th century) and of Metamorfosi Sotiros (1305) in Kleidonia. From the Ottoman period (1430-1913) remain, the temple of St .Apostles (1791), the Muslim mosque of Suleiman (16th century) the cathedral of St. Nikolas (1842), the residence of Hamko (18th century), the residence of Sisko (1845), the temple of St. Apostles (1537), the temple of St. Athanasios (1617) and the chapel of Neo-Martyr George, with 120 pictures made from Chioniadites painters.

An introduction to the town's traditional architecture can be done in Upper Konitsa, where most of the mansions and housing estates, built during the Ottoman period, can be found. In the area there are more than 50 preserved buildings, from which the ones standing out are, the Husein Bey Sisko, the Hamko residential estate, the Mpekiareiko, the Floreiko, the Papadiamantis residence, the Schinias residence, the Voudasis residence, the Housious residence, and others.

One of the trademark attractions of the region is undoubtedly the large singe arched bridge of Konitsa, which imposes at the edge of the settlement, in the Aoos gorge. The infamous bridge was built in 1870 by chief mason Zioga Frontzo form Pirsogianni and its dimensions are 20 x 40. It is a true monument of architectural heritage that one ought's to visit on his way to Konitsa.

One can also encounter great monuments of historical and cultural heritage, in the villages around Konitsa, like the "Kleidi" and "Mpoila" rock shelters that host findings indicating the existence of human presence in the region since the Late Stone Age, and the "Megalakkos" cave.

In the Kleidonia village, which is located on the outskirts of the Konitsa plain, at a distance of 14km from the town, the visitor is advised to visit the homonymous bridge, the temple of the Metemorfosis tou Sotiros, and the Monastery of St. Anargiroi.

The bridge of Kleidoniavista or Voidomati, is a single arched bridge situated on the banks of Voidomatis River, and connects Zagori with Konitsa. It was built in 1853 and was funded (37000 grosz) by the benefactor Mpalkiz Hanoum of Malik Pasha. The bridge's name was derived from the almost abandoned mountainous village of Kleidoniavista (Upper Kleidonia). It is a single arched bridge, with 20m span and 9,15m height, while its deck is cobbled (paved in a kalnterimi style)

Mpourazani is located approximately 12 km from Konitsa. Mpourazani is not a village, but an area subjected to the Aidonochori community, with rich natural environment and remarkable touristic growth over the last years.

In the region we can find the base of the Mpourazani Environmental Park, which spreads over an area of 1200 acres. It contains rich vegetation and is home to various species of wild animals, like deer, wild boars, and wild goats. In addition the village there is an operational Museum of Natural History.

At the point where Aoos meets the Nemertsika foothills, we encounter the Monastery of Koimiseos of Theotokou Molivdoskepastis. According to tradition, it was built by Emperor Konstantinos Pagonatos in the 7th century AD and derived its name from the led plates that used to cover its central temple. From the 12th until the 17th century the Monastery was the seat of the Pogonianis Archdiocese, while from the 14th century it operated as a chirographer school. In July 1943 it was bombed by the occupation armies, resulting to the destruction of the cells and the diner. The central byzantine rhythm temple of the Monastery together with its wood carved templon, are particularly interesting.

At the end of the route through the Lakka Aoou villages, we find Distrato, which is built below the Gomara summit (alt. 2126m) of Vasilitsa. There are three neighborhoods (machalades) in Distrato: The Machalitsio (Lower machalas), where byzantine and roman/ancient tombs were discovered, the Middle machalas and the Upper machalas (machlelou nti tziana).

Approaching the infamous Mastorochoria villages, we make our first stop in Pirsogianni, which is built amphitheatrically on the slopes of Mount Steno at 860m. While walking on its graphic alleys we can admire the mansions and elaborate stone constructs, most of which were built in 1750.

In Pirsogianni we also find the National Museum of Epirotes Masons.

The Vikos-Aoos National Park is one of the areas included in Natura 2000 network and since 2005 in the National Park of Northern Pindos. The Park is distributed between the municipalities of Konitsa, Central Zagoria and Timfi, as well as the Papigo community. Its total area reaches 13.000 hectares and includes the Aoos ravine to the north, the Vikos and Voidomatis gorges to the south, as well as a large section of the Timfi mountain range.

Nature lovers and alternative activities enthusiasts will find their paradise on earth, in Konitsa. Hiking, climbing, and all sorts of mountain and river activities are automatically connected with the town's name, because in addition to being a town of historical significance, in recent years it has evolved to an unofficial "capital" of alternative touristic activities in the Prefecture of Ioannina.