#225 Church of Saint Paraskevi (Metsovo)

Location

It is perhaps the most noteworthy temple of Metsovo, located in the center of the village.

 

Construction Data

The temple presents a real gem of the village center. It is built in a three-aisled basilica style, while inside the church we discern the beautiful wooden carved templon, the throne, the pulpit, the shrine, and the unique wooden carved ceiling. Its wood carved templon is dated back to 1730 and is the work Metsovite craftsmen. In the upper zone of ??the templon is situated the icon of St. Nicholas of Metsovo, work of Metsovite painter Stergios Papagiannis (1755) while the other 10 are dated to the first half of the 18th century and are positioned in the lower zone. 9 of them date back to the period 1820-1834 and were contributions of wealthy Metsovites permanently residing in Russia, while one of them, the image of Agia Paraskevi, dates back to 1753.

Also worth mentioning is the fact that the church has two pulpits, from which the largest and tallest is the work of Metsovite (taliadoro) woodcarver Stergios Petris , who also carved the magnificent pulpit of the church of St. Dimitrios in Metsovo.

In the courtyard we see the imposing 25-meter high stone belfry, built in the 1880s with the funds of Georgios Averof, who also renovated it after a decade. In the courtyard we also locate the war memorial, the bust of Metsovite archmandrite Modestos Pertsalis and the commemorative column the Nation's apostle, Kosmas the Aetolian (1714-1779).


Historical Data

Although the erection date of the temple is not known, some renovations occurred in 1511, 1705, 1759 and in 1894 at the expense of Georgios Averof, as well as the Foundation Tositsa 1959 and 1991-4.

Up to 1659, Metsovo and specifically St. Paraskevi church, was subjected to the Diocese Stagon. From 1659-1924 the temple of St-limit became exarchic, which meant that it was the main temple of the Patriarchal Exarchate of Metsovo, a historic institution that was established in 1659 and gained legal and state status by a royal decree issued by Sultan Mehmet IV. Subjected to the Patriarchal Exarchate Metsovo, besides the town of Metsovo, were also Milia, Anilio, Malakassi, Koutsoufliani, Votonosi and Dervendista (present day Anthohori). From 1924 until 1928, the temple of St. Paraskevi became Metropolitan, after the promotion of the Exarchate to a Metropolis, in which Timotheos Lamnis was named Bishop. .Bishop Timotheos was one of the excellent Hierarchs of the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

In the yard of the church, during the celebration day for St. Paraskevi and after the end of the litany, at the location "koultouki", a women's dance takes place. The women are dressed with their formal, colorful local costumes.

In the church are kept several relics, such as silver goblets and silver crosses, the gold plated Russian made Gospel, as well as silver ware, benefits from Georgios Averof.

The church of St. Paraskevi in Metsovo has a historic importance and is the central axis of the religious, national and cultural life of the residents. According to Giorgos Plataris, the commissioners of St. Paraskevi were always the notables of Metsovo, since its vault contained all the documents and confessions of Metsovo, its properties, and every document concerning Metsovo's administrative issues.

As mentioned by M. Tritou, another glorious page of the temple of St. Paraskevi of Metsovo is its choir tradition. The byzantine music was introduced to the temple by first chanter Dionisios from Ioannina, who was taught in the Ecumenical Patriarchate. The temple of St. Paraskevi also had a great contribution in the field of education. The famous Greek school of Metsovo was initially housed in its cells, and later was In cells of the originally housed the famous Ellinoscholeio Metsovo, which became one of the major national strongholds of Epirus, a highly valued educational center, in which scholars and some of the most proud teachers of the era used to teach.



In 1759 the High Porte provided permission for the repair of the temple of St. Paraskevi, and the Metsovites took advantage of the opportunity to increase the halls of the Greek School. The famous Greek School was housed and operated within the well suited cells of the temple until 1817. After 1817 the Greek School was housed in a regular schooling facility that was built at the expense of pachalniko Dim. Zamanis, who was a powerful official in the Sultan's court. After the Greek School's destruction, by fire, that occurred on the 13th of April 1840 and destroyed the library, which numbered 4.000 books and several manuscripts, the Greek School started operating again within the cells of St. Paraskevi. The temple of St. Paraskevi, besides its spiritual and devotional character, is also a brilliant cultural monument that never ceases to impress those who visit it.

Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The square of Metsovo is filled with shops selling handicrafts, ornate woodwork utilitarian objects, drums, traditional textiles, dairy products and the famous wines "Katogi" that are produced in Metsovo. The wine is produced from French vines of the area Bordeaux, which grow in the areas "Ginietsi" and "Boianou" of Metsovo. Their vinification, maturation and bottling are assigned to the newly built specialized winery, which is the exclusive property of Evangelos Averof - Tositsas.

Opposite of Metsovo is Anilio, built at an altitude of 1050 m. below the top of Peristeri Oksia (alt. 1635 m.). Above the village is the new ski resort of Metsovo.

At the entrance of the village is the information center for the National Park of Pindos - Valia Kalda, where are housed exhibits about the nature and culture of the region.

Under the old castle of Metsovo, in the main square, is the Gallery of the Foundation Evangelos Averof - Tositsa.

The area of Metsovo is rich in religious monuments. Monasteries and churches flood the surrounding region and invite the visitor to explore them.

In the surrounding area can be found three regions, which are part of the Natura 2000 network and these are the Pindos National Park (Valia Calda) (GR1310003), the Area of Metsovo (Anilio - Katara) (GR2130006) and the Mountain Lakmos.

Many events take place in Metsovo in July, such as the "Pichtia", cultural and artistic events that are held annually on the last weekend of July. On July 20th a festival takes place near the church of Prophet Elias, at an altitude of 1400 m. On July 26th, the day of Agia Paraskevi, takes place a religious feast, where women of the village, with traditional costumes, dance and sing Vlach songs. On August 15th, at the Monastery of Panagia, takes place a festival with traditional events involving dance groups.

Within Anthochori are the folklore museum and the Water Power Museum, which consists of a mill, a fulling mill and mantania that are driven by water power from the stream Rona. It's an example of exploitation of water power and a monument, essentially, of the technology used by people during the pre-industrial period to meet the food and clothing needs. Of interest is also the church of St. Theodoron.

In Votonosi archaeologists discovered a citadel of the classical period, now known under the name Lachanokastro. From previous research in Votonosi have been found at the foot of the citadel several inscribed tombstones, which were built in the retaining walls of the fields in Tria Hania. Bronze vases and pottery were found elsewhere, demonstrating the importance of the region that is located in the old road Ioannina - Metsovo - Kalambaka and was the ancient crossing of Pindos. Notable are the church of the Transfiguration, with ornate wooden templon and the settlement Myli, where there are ruins of old mills. The houses in the area are built following the standard Metsovian form of a three-room house with closed wooden balcony (kepegki), which is usually made of wood.

Remarkable cultural monuments of Milia are the church of St. Nicholas that was built in the 16th century, the one of St. Athanasios and the one of Panagia. Of interest are the fulling mill at the village entrance, the derelict watermills and the information kiosk for the Nature and Culture, from where you can retrieve information about the Pindos National Park - Valia Kalda, the paths and the nature of the area.

 

 

 

 


#226 Church of Saint Charalampos (Metsovo)

Location

The church is located at the southeastern side of Metsovo.

 

Construction Data

The St. Charalampos church is a three aisled- basilica of large dimensions. Three multi-faceted apses protrude at the east side of the church, while at the southern side there is a more recent loggia.

 

Historical Data

It was renovated n 1834 from Ioannis Tsanakas.

One is worth visiting the temple, in order to admire its marvelous painted celling and its wood carved templon (iconostasis), the throne, the two pulpits, the ciborium of the altar, and the amazing frescoes, at certain sections of the temple.

Nowadays, the temple is not preserved in a very good condition, as on its eastern side we can located several cracks. On the western side there is the addition of a more recent belfry.

 

Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The square of Metsovo is filled with shops selling handicrafts, ornate woodwork utilitarian objects, drums, traditional textiles, dairy products and the famous wines "Katogi" that are produced in Metsovo. The wine is produced from French vines of the area Bordeaux, which grow in the areas "Ginietsi" and "Boianou" of Metsovo. Their vinification, maturation and bottling are assigned to the newly built specialized winery, which is the exclusive property of Evangelos Averof - Tositsas.

Opposite of Metsovo is Anilio, built at an altitude of 1050 m. below the top of Peristeri Oksia (alt. 1635 m.). Above the village is the new ski resort of Metsovo.

At the entrance of the village is the information center for the National Park of Pindos - Valia Kalda, where are housed exhibits about the nature and culture of the region.

Under the old castle of Metsovo, in the main square, is the Gallery of the Foundation Evangelos Averof - Tositsa.

The area of Metsovo is rich in religious monuments. Monasteries and churches flood the surrounding region and invite the visitor to explore them.

In the surrounding area can be found three regions, which are part of the Natura 2000 network and these are the Pindos National Park (Valia Calda) (GR1310003), the Area of Metsovo (Anilio - Katara) (GR2130006) and the Mountain Lakmos.

Many events take place in Metsovo in July, such as the "Pichtia", cultural and artistic events that are held annually on the last weekend of July. On July 20th a festival takes place near the church of Prophet Elias, at an altitude of 1400 m. On July 26th, the day of Agia Paraskevi, takes place a religious feast, where women of the village, with traditional costumes, dance and sing Vlach songs. On August 15th, at the Monastery of Panagia, takes place a festival with traditional events involving dance groups.

Within Anthochori are the folklore museum and the Water Power Museum, which consists of a mill, a fulling mill and mantania that are driven by water power from the stream Rona. It's an example of exploitation of water power and a monument, essentially, of the technology used by people during the pre-industrial period to meet the food and clothing needs. Of interest is also the church of St. Theodoron.

In Votonosi archaeologists discovered a citadel of the classical period, now known under the name Lachanokastro. From previous research in Votonosi have been found at the foot of the citadel several inscribed tombstones, which were built in the retaining walls of the fields in Tria Hania. Bronze vases and pottery were found elsewhere, demonstrating the importance of the region that is located in the old road Ioannina - Metsovo - Kalambaka and was the ancient crossing of Pindos. Notable are the church of the Transfiguration, with ornate wooden templon and the settlement Myli, where there are ruins of old mills. The houses in the area are built following the standard Metsovian form of a three-room house with closed wooden balcony (kepegki), which is usually made of wood.

Remarkable cultural monuments of Milia are the church of St. Nicholas that was built in the 16th century, the one of St. Athanasios and the one of Panagia. Of interest are the fulling mill at the village entrance, the derelict watermills and the information kiosk for the Nature and Culture, from where you can retrieve information about the Pindos National Park - Valia Kalda, the paths and the nature of the area.

 

 

 


#227 Church of Agia Triada (Metsovo)

Location

It is located in the western part of Metsovo.

 

Construction Data

The temple of St. Trinity is a single -aisle basilica.

The wooden diptychs of the table of Preparation date back to 1718, while the temple's templon is the work of G. Meranos.

 

Historical Data

The erection date of the temple remains unknown

Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The square of Metsovo is filled with shops selling handicrafts, ornate woodwork utilitarian objects, drums, traditional textiles, dairy products and the famous wines "Katogi" that are produced in Metsovo. The wine is produced from French vines of the area Bordeaux, which grow in the areas "Ginietsi" and "Boianou" of Metsovo. Their vinification, maturation and bottling are assigned to the newly built specialized winery, which is the exclusive property of Evangelos Averof - Tositsas.

Opposite of Metsovo is Anilio, built at an altitude of 1050 m. below the top of Peristeri Oksia (alt. 1635 m.). Above the village is the new ski resort of Metsovo.

At the entrance of the village is the information center for the National Park of Pindos - Valia Kalda, where are housed exhibits about the nature and culture of the region.

Under the old castle of Metsovo, in the main square, is the Gallery of the Foundation Evangelos Averof - Tositsa.

The area of Metsovo is rich in religious monuments. Monasteries and churches flood the surrounding region and invite the visitor to explore them.

In the surrounding area can be found three regions, which are part of the Natura 2000 network and these are the Pindos National Park (Valia Calda) (GR1310003), the Area of Metsovo (Anilio - Katara) (GR2130006) and the Mountain Lakmos.

Many events take place in Metsovo in July, such as the "Pichtia", cultural and artistic events that are held annually on the last weekend of July. On July 20th a festival takes place near the church of Prophet Elias, at an altitude of 1400 m. On July 26th, the day of Agia Paraskevi, takes place a religious feast, where women of the village, with traditional costumes, dance and sing Vlach songs. On August 15th, at the Monastery of Panagia, takes place a festival with traditional events involving dance groups.

Within Anthochori are the folklore museum and the Water Power Museum, which consists of a mill, a fulling mill and mantania that are driven by water power from the stream Rona. It's an example of exploitation of water power and a monument, essentially, of the technology used by people during the pre-industrial period to meet the food and clothing needs. Of interest is also the church of St. Theodoron.

In Votonosi archaeologists discovered a citadel of the classical period, now known under the name Lachanokastro. From previous research in Votonosi have been found at the foot of the citadel several inscribed tombstones, which were built in the retaining walls of the fields in Tria Hania. Bronze vases and pottery were found elsewhere, demonstrating the importance of the region that is located in the old road Ioannina - Metsovo - Kalambaka and was the ancient crossing of Pindos. Notable are the church of the Transfiguration, with ornate wooden templon and the settlement Myli, where there are ruins of old mills. The houses in the area are built following the standard Metsovian form of a three-room house with closed wooden balcony (kepegki), which is usually made of wood.

Remarkable cultural monuments of Milia are the church of St. Nicholas that was built in the 16th century, the one of St. Athanasios and the one of Panagia. Of interest are the fulling mill at the village entrance, the derelict watermills and the information kiosk for the Nature and Culture, from where you can retrieve information about the Pindos National Park - Valia Kalda, the paths and the nature of the area.

 

 


#228 Church of Saint Athanasios (Zigos)

Location

We can locate the temple near the Monastery of Panagia, at the beginning of the old road to Thessaly.

 

Construction Data

 

Historical Data

The temple is very old

The temple was renovated in 1893, at the expense of Ioannis Papas and Nikolaos Tsiaousis, following an imperial permit, while the painting of the sanctuary was performed in 1832.

Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The square of Metsovo is filled with shops selling handicrafts, ornate woodwork utilitarian objects, drums, traditional textiles, dairy products and the famous wines "Katogi" that are produced in Metsovo. The wine is produced from French vines of the area Bordeaux, which grow in the areas "Ginietsi" and "Boianou" of Metsovo. Their vinification, maturation and bottling are assigned to the newly built specialized winery, which is the exclusive property of Evangelos Averof - Tositsas.

Opposite of Metsovo is Anilio, built at an altitude of 1050 m. below the top of Peristeri Oksia (alt. 1635 m.). Above the village is the new ski resort of Metsovo.

At the entrance of the village is the information center for the National Park of Pindos - Valia Kalda, where are housed exhibits about the nature and culture of the region.

Under the old castle of Metsovo, in the main square, is the Gallery of the Foundation Evangelos Averof - Tositsa.

The area of Metsovo is rich in religious monuments. Monasteries and churches flood the surrounding region and invite the visitor to explore them.

In the surrounding area can be found three regions, which are part of the Natura 2000 network and these are the Pindos National Park (Valia Calda) (GR1310003), the Area of Metsovo (Anilio - Katara) (GR2130006) and the Mountain Lakmos.

Many events take place in Metsovo in July, such as the "Pichtia", cultural and artistic events that are held annually on the last weekend of July. On July 20th a festival takes place near the church of Prophet Elias, at an altitude of 1400 m. On July 26th, the day of Agia Paraskevi, takes place a religious feast, where women of the village, with traditional costumes, dance and sing Vlach songs. On August 15th, at the Monastery of Panagia, takes place a festival with traditional events involving dance groups.

Within Anthochori are the folklore museum and the Water Power Museum, which consists of a mill, a fulling mill and mantania that are driven by water power from the stream Rona. It's an example of exploitation of water power and a monument, essentially, of the technology used by people during the pre-industrial period to meet the food and clothing needs. Of interest is also the church of St. Theodoron.

In Votonosi archaeologists discovered a citadel of the classical period, now known under the name Lachanokastro. From previous research in Votonosi have been found at the foot of the citadel several inscribed tombstones, which were built in the retaining walls of the fields in Tria Hania. Bronze vases and pottery were found elsewhere, demonstrating the importance of the region that is located in the old road Ioannina - Metsovo - Kalambaka and was the ancient crossing of Pindos. Notable are the church of the Transfiguration, with ornate wooden templon and the settlement Myli, where there are ruins of old mills. The houses in the area are built following the standard Metsovian form of a three-room house with closed wooden balcony (kepegki), which is usually made of wood.

Remarkable cultural monuments of Milia are the church of St. Nicholas that was built in the 16th century, the one of St. Athanasios and the one of Panagia. Of interest are the fulling mill at the village entrance, the derelict watermills and the information kiosk for the Nature and Culture, from where you can retrieve information about the Pindos National Park - Valia Kalda, the paths and the nature of the area.

 

 

 


#229 Church of Saint Dimitrios (Metsovo)

Location

The church of St. Dimitrios is one of the oldest and most tormented churches of Metsovo.

Construction Data

The temple possesses a remarkable wood carved templon.

The temple has two pulpits (Beautiful Gates), the largest of which is the work of Mestovite wood carver (taliadorou) Georgiou Stergiou Petri. It possesses two gold embroidered epitaphs, silver and golden sacred objects, silver icon coatings and silver wedding wreaths. The wonderful icons depicting Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary are works of the Metsovite hagiographer Georgios Chrisoloras. Some of the large templon icons were painted in Nizna Russia during 1821 by Metsovite hagiographer Dimitrios Konstantinos Kritzalis.


Historical Data

The church of St. Dimitrios is one of the oldest and most tormented churches of Metsovo. The temple was destroyed several times by earthquakes. In 1818, after a powerful earthquake, the church was rebuilt with the order of Ali Pasha, as a reward for the Metsovites that assisted him in crossing the, covered in snow, passage of Zigos. The temple was repaired for the last time in 1908 and today it is the second parish church of Metsovo.

The temple has two pulpits (Beautiful Gates), the largest of which is the work of Mestovite wood carver (taliadorou) Georgiou Stergiou Petri. It possesses two gold embroidered epitaphs, silver and golden sacred objects, silver icon coatings and silver wedding wreaths. The wonderful icons depicting Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary are works of the Metsovite hagiographer Georgios Chrisoloras.

Some of the large templon icons were painted in Nizna Russia during 1821 by Metsovite hagiographer Dimitrios Konstantinos Kritzalis.

 

Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The square of Metsovo is filled with shops selling handicrafts, ornate woodwork utilitarian objects, drums, traditional textiles, dairy products and the famous wines "Katogi" that are produced in Metsovo. The wine is produced from French vines of the area Bordeaux, which grow in the areas "Ginietsi" and "Boianou" of Metsovo. Their vinification, maturation and bottling are assigned to the newly built specialized winery, which is the exclusive property of Evangelos Averof - Tositsas.

Opposite of Metsovo is Anilio, built at an altitude of 1050 m. below the top of Peristeri Oksia (alt. 1635 m.). Above the village is the new ski resort of Metsovo.

At the entrance of the village is the information center for the National Park of Pindos - Valia Kalda, where are housed exhibits about the nature and culture of the region.

Under the old castle of Metsovo, in the main square, is the Gallery of the Foundation Evangelos Averof - Tositsa.

The area of Metsovo is rich in religious monuments. Monasteries and churches flood the surrounding region and invite the visitor to explore them.

In the surrounding area can be found three regions, which are part of the Natura 2000 network and these are the Pindos National Park (Valia Calda) (GR1310003), the Area of Metsovo (Anilio - Katara) (GR2130006) and the Mountain Lakmos.

Many events take place in Metsovo in July, such as the "Pichtia", cultural and artistic events that are held annually on the last weekend of July. On July 20th a festival takes place near the church of Prophet Elias, at an altitude of 1400 m. On July 26th, the day of Agia Paraskevi, takes place a religious feast, where women of the village, with traditional costumes, dance and sing Vlach songs. On August 15th, at the Monastery of Panagia, takes place a festival with traditional events involving dance groups.

Within Anthochori are the folklore museum and the Water Power Museum, which consists of a mill, a fulling mill and mantania that are driven by water power from the stream Rona. It's an example of exploitation of water power and a monument, essentially, of the technology used by people during the pre-industrial period to meet the food and clothing needs. Of interest is also the church of St. Theodoron.

In Votonosi archaeologists discovered a citadel of the classical period, now known under the name Lachanokastro. From previous research in Votonosi have been found at the foot of the citadel several inscribed tombstones, which were built in the retaining walls of the fields in Tria Hania. Bronze vases and pottery were found elsewhere, demonstrating the importance of the region that is located in the old road Ioannina - Metsovo - Kalambaka and was the ancient crossing of Pindos. Notable are the church of the Transfiguration, with ornate wooden templon and the settlement Myli, where there are ruins of old mills. The houses in the area are built following the standard Metsovian form of a three-room house with closed wooden balcony (kepegki), which is usually made of wood.

Remarkable cultural monuments of Milia are the church of St. Nicholas that was built in the 16th century, the one of St. Athanasios and the one of Panagia. Of interest are the fulling mill at the village entrance, the derelict watermills and the information kiosk for the Nature and Culture, from where you can retrieve information about the Pindos National Park - Valia Kalda, the paths and the nature of the area.


 

 

 

 


#231 Gallery of Evaggelos Averof

Location

On the central square, below the old Metsovo castle, we can find the gallery of the Evangelos Averof- Tositsas Foundation.

Construction Data

 

Historical Data

The Gallery was founded in 1985 and inaugurated in August 1988.

The Averof Gallery, a personal creation of Evangelos Averof, is nowadays a modern and lively museum. Parallel to the permanent exhibition of the Gallery's works, seasonal exhibitions, activities and evens also take place.

Recently the new wing, comprised by two large exhibition halls, a library, a projection room and other auxiliary spaces, was completed.

The gallery primarily hosts works of the founder's personal collection. Those are works of Greek Painters such as Pantazis, Litras, Poilos, Gizis, Parthenis, Iakovidis, Maleas, Prosalentis, Chatzis, Volanakis, Lempesis, Oikonomou and others. The exhibits of the Gallery are referred to the 19th and 20th centuries. In addition, works of Greek Sculptors of the same time period are also exhibited. Among the exhibits, those standing out for their historical theme are "The battle of Farsala" by Georgios Roilos, "The fleeing of Parga" by Dionisios Tsokos, "The burning of the Turkish flagsheep by Kanaris" by Nikiforos Litras.

Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The square of Metsovo is filled with shops selling handicrafts, ornate woodwork utilitarian objects, drums, traditional textiles, dairy products and the famous wines "Katogi" that are produced in Metsovo. The wine is produced from French vines of the area Bordeaux, which grow in the areas "Ginietsi" and "Boianou" of Metsovo. Their vinification, maturation and bottling are assigned to the newly built specialized winery, which is the exclusive property of Evangelos Averof - Tositsas.

Opposite of Metsovo is Anilio, built at an altitude of 1050 m. below the top of Peristeri Oksia (alt. 1635 m.). Above the village is the new ski resort of Metsovo.

At the entrance of the village is the information center for the National Park of Pindos - Valia Kalda, where are housed exhibits about the nature and culture of the region.

Under the old castle of Metsovo, in the main square, is the Gallery of the Foundation Evangelos Averof - Tositsa.

The area of Metsovo is rich in religious monuments. Monasteries and churches flood the surrounding region and invite the visitor to explore them.

In the surrounding area can be found three regions, which are part of the Natura 2000 network and these are the Pindos National Park (Valia Calda) (GR1310003), the Area of Metsovo (Anilio - Katara) (GR2130006) and the Mountain Lakmos.

Many events take place in Metsovo in July, such as the "Pichtia", cultural and artistic events that are held annually on the last weekend of July. On July 20th a festival takes place near the church of Prophet Elias, at an altitude of 1400 m. On July 26th, the day of Agia Paraskevi, takes place a religious feast, where women of the village, with traditional costumes, dance and sing Vlach songs. On August 15th, at the Monastery of Panagia, takes place a festival with traditional events involving dance groups.

Within Anthochori are the folklore museum and the Water Power Museum, which consists of a mill, a fulling mill and mantania that are driven by water power from the stream Rona. It's an example of exploitation of water power and a monument, essentially, of the technology used by people during the pre-industrial period to meet the food and clothing needs. Of interest is also the church of St. Theodoron.

In Votonosi archaeologists discovered a citadel of the classical period, now known under the name Lachanokastro. From previous research in Votonosi have been found at the foot of the citadel several inscribed tombstones, which were built in the retaining walls of the fields in Tria Hania. Bronze vases and pottery were found elsewhere, demonstrating the importance of the region that is located in the old road Ioannina - Metsovo - Kalambaka and was the ancient crossing of Pindos. Notable are the church of the Transfiguration, with ornate wooden templon and the settlement Myli, where there are ruins of old mills. The houses in the area are built following the standard Metsovian form of a three-room house with closed wooden balcony (kepegki), which is usually made of wood.

Remarkable cultural monuments of Milia are the church of St. Nicholas that was built in the 16th century, the one of St. Athanasios and the one of Panagia. Of interest are the fulling mill at the village entrance, the derelict watermills and the information kiosk for the Nature and Culture, from where you can retrieve information about the Pindos National Park - Valia Kalda, the paths and the nature of the area.

 

 

 


#232 Monastery of Red Stone

Location

The Monastery is situated near the Red Stone (Kokkino Lithari) in Anthochori, Metsovo.

Construction Data

The Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi is assumed to have been built in the 18th century in the inscribed cruciform type with a dome and sideway choruses.

Historical Data

The Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi is assumed to have been built in the 18th century.

The Monastery is situated near the Red Stone (Kokkino Lithari) in Anthochori, Metsovo. It owes its name to the cliff with the red rocks that is found is of the Monastery, on a steep and impassable mountain range of Pindos. In the Vlach language it is also called "Kiatra Rosia".

The frescoes in the temple's interior are probably from the early 19th century, while the portable icons are works of the 18th,19th and 20th centuries. In addition many books of the 18th and 19th centuries are preserved, published by Nik. Glikeos and D. Theodosiou in Venice.

Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The square of Metsovo is filled with shops selling handicrafts, ornate woodwork utilitarian objects, drums, traditional textiles, dairy products and the famous wines "Katogi" that are produced in Metsovo. The wine is produced from French vines of the area Bordeaux, which grow in the areas "Ginietsi" and "Boianou" of Metsovo. Their vinification, maturation and bottling are assigned to the newly built specialized winery, which is the exclusive property of Evangelos Averof - Tositsas.

Opposite of Metsovo is Anilio, built at an altitude of 1050 m. below the top of Peristeri Oksia (alt. 1635 m.). Above the village is the new ski resort of Metsovo.

At the entrance of the village is the information center for the National Park of Pindos - Valia Kalda, where are housed exhibits about the nature and culture of the region.

Under the old castle of Metsovo, in the main square, is the Gallery of the Foundation Evangelos Averof - Tositsa.

The area of Metsovo is rich in religious monuments. Monasteries and churches flood the surrounding region and invite the visitor to explore them.

In the surrounding area can be found three regions, which are part of the Natura 2000 network and these are the Pindos National Park (Valia Calda) (GR1310003), the Area of Metsovo (Anilio - Katara) (GR2130006) and the Mountain Lakmos.

Many events take place in Metsovo in July, such as the "Pichtia", cultural and artistic events that are held annually on the last weekend of July. On July 20th a festival takes place near the church of Prophet Elias, at an altitude of 1400 m. On July 26th, the day of Agia Paraskevi, takes place a religious feast, where women of the village, with traditional costumes, dance and sing Vlach songs. On August 15th, at the Monastery of Panagia, takes place a festival with traditional events involving dance groups.

Within Anthochori are the folklore museum and the Water Power Museum, which consists of a mill, a fulling mill and mantania that are driven by water power from the stream Rona. It's an example of exploitation of water power and a monument, essentially, of the technology used by people during the pre-industrial period to meet the food and clothing needs. Of interest is also the church of St. Theodoron.

In Votonosi archaeologists discovered a citadel of the classical period, now known under the name Lachanokastro. From previous research in Votonosi have been found at the foot of the citadel several inscribed tombstones, which were built in the retaining walls of the fields in Tria Hania. Bronze vases and pottery were found elsewhere, demonstrating the importance of the region that is located in the old road Ioannina - Metsovo - Kalambaka and was the ancient crossing of Pindos. Notable are the church of the Transfiguration, with ornate wooden templon and the settlement Myli, where there are ruins of old mills. The houses in the area are built following the standard Metsovian form of a three-room house with closed wooden balcony (kepegki), which is usually made of wood.

Remarkable cultural monuments of Milia are the church of St. Nicholas that was built in the 16th century, the one of St. Athanasios and the one of Panagia. Of interest are the fulling mill at the village entrance, the derelict watermills and the information kiosk for the Nature and Culture, from where you can retrieve information about the Pindos National Park - Valia Kalda, the paths and the nature of the area.

 

 


#233 Church of the Transfiguration (Metamorfosi Sotira) (Votonosi)

Location

Votonosi (alt. 820 m.) is located at the 46th km. of the highway of Ioannina - Trikala. Is built below the top Grammeni (alt. 1147 m.) and over the Metsovitiko River, on the ancient pathway connecting Ioannina with Metsovo and Kalambaka.

Construction Data

Remarkable monument of the village is the church of the Transfiguration, with elaborate wooden temple.

Historical Data

In the area of Votonosi is located the acropolis of the classical period, now known under the name Lachanokastro. From earlier research in Votonosi were identified at the foot of the acropolis several inscribed tombstones in Tria Hania. Bronze vessels and pottery found in other parts, proving the historicity of the area.

On August 6, the Savior, the festival takes place, which includes a procession of the image and feast with folk bands in the churchyard.

Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The square of Metsovo is filled with shops selling handicrafts, ornate woodwork utilitarian objects, drums, traditional textiles, dairy products and the famous wines "Katogi" that are produced in Metsovo. The wine is produced from French vines of the area Bordeaux, which grow in the areas "Ginietsi" and "Boianou" of Metsovo. Their vinification, maturation and bottling are assigned to the newly built specialized winery, which is the exclusive property of Evangelos Averof - Tositsas.

Opposite of Metsovo is Anilio, built at an altitude of 1050 m. below the top of Peristeri Oksia (alt. 1635 m.). Above the village is the new ski resort of Metsovo.

At the entrance of the village is the information center for the National Park of Pindos - Valia Kalda, where are housed exhibits about the nature and culture of the region.

Under the old castle of Metsovo, in the main square, is the Gallery of the Foundation Evangelos Averof - Tositsa.

The area of Metsovo is rich in religious monuments. Monasteries and churches flood the surrounding region and invite the visitor to explore them.

In the surrounding area can be found three regions, which are part of the Natura 2000 network and these are the Pindos National Park (Valia Calda) (GR1310003), the Area of Metsovo (Anilio - Katara) (GR2130006) and the Mountain Lakmos.

Many events take place in Metsovo in July, such as the "Pichtia", cultural and artistic events that are held annually on the last weekend of July. On July 20th a festival takes place near the church of Prophet Elias, at an altitude of 1400 m. On July 26th, the day of Agia Paraskevi, takes place a religious feast, where women of the village, with traditional costumes, dance and sing Vlach songs. On August 15th, at the Monastery of Panagia, takes place a festival with traditional events involving dance groups.

Within Anthochori are the folklore museum and the Water Power Museum, which consists of a mill, a fulling mill and mantania that are driven by water power from the stream Rona. It's an example of exploitation of water power and a monument, essentially, of the technology used by people during the pre-industrial period to meet the food and clothing needs. Of interest is also the church of St. Theodoron.

In Votonosi archaeologists discovered a citadel of the classical period, now known under the name Lachanokastro. From previous research in Votonosi have been found at the foot of the citadel several inscribed tombstones, which were built in the retaining walls of the fields in Tria Hania. Bronze vases and pottery were found elsewhere, demonstrating the importance of the region that is located in the old road Ioannina - Metsovo - Kalambaka and was the ancient crossing of Pindos. Notable are the church of the Transfiguration, with ornate wooden templon and the settlement Myli, where there are ruins of old mills. The houses in the area are built following the standard Metsovian form of a three-room house with closed wooden balcony (kepegki), which is usually made of wood.

Remarkable cultural monuments of Milia are the church of St. Nicholas that was built in the 16th century, the one of St. Athanasios and the one of Panagia. Of interest are the fulling mill at the village entrance, the derelict watermills and the information kiosk for the Nature and Culture, from where you can retrieve information about the Pindos National Park - Valia Kalda, the paths and the nature of the area.