#233 Church of the Transfiguration (Metamorfosi Sotira) (Votonosi)

Location

Votonosi (alt. 820 m.) is located at the 46th km. of the highway of Ioannina - Trikala. Is built below the top Grammeni (alt. 1147 m.) and over the Metsovitiko River, on the ancient pathway connecting Ioannina with Metsovo and Kalambaka.

Construction Data

Remarkable monument of the village is the church of the Transfiguration, with elaborate wooden temple.

Historical Data

In the area of Votonosi is located the acropolis of the classical period, now known under the name Lachanokastro. From earlier research in Votonosi were identified at the foot of the acropolis several inscribed tombstones in Tria Hania. Bronze vessels and pottery found in other parts, proving the historicity of the area.

On August 6, the Savior, the festival takes place, which includes a procession of the image and feast with folk bands in the churchyard.

Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The square of Metsovo is filled with shops selling handicrafts, ornate woodwork utilitarian objects, drums, traditional textiles, dairy products and the famous wines "Katogi" that are produced in Metsovo. The wine is produced from French vines of the area Bordeaux, which grow in the areas "Ginietsi" and "Boianou" of Metsovo. Their vinification, maturation and bottling are assigned to the newly built specialized winery, which is the exclusive property of Evangelos Averof - Tositsas.

Opposite of Metsovo is Anilio, built at an altitude of 1050 m. below the top of Peristeri Oksia (alt. 1635 m.). Above the village is the new ski resort of Metsovo.

At the entrance of the village is the information center for the National Park of Pindos - Valia Kalda, where are housed exhibits about the nature and culture of the region.

Under the old castle of Metsovo, in the main square, is the Gallery of the Foundation Evangelos Averof - Tositsa.

The area of Metsovo is rich in religious monuments. Monasteries and churches flood the surrounding region and invite the visitor to explore them.

In the surrounding area can be found three regions, which are part of the Natura 2000 network and these are the Pindos National Park (Valia Calda) (GR1310003), the Area of Metsovo (Anilio - Katara) (GR2130006) and the Mountain Lakmos.

Many events take place in Metsovo in July, such as the "Pichtia", cultural and artistic events that are held annually on the last weekend of July. On July 20th a festival takes place near the church of Prophet Elias, at an altitude of 1400 m. On July 26th, the day of Agia Paraskevi, takes place a religious feast, where women of the village, with traditional costumes, dance and sing Vlach songs. On August 15th, at the Monastery of Panagia, takes place a festival with traditional events involving dance groups.

Within Anthochori are the folklore museum and the Water Power Museum, which consists of a mill, a fulling mill and mantania that are driven by water power from the stream Rona. It's an example of exploitation of water power and a monument, essentially, of the technology used by people during the pre-industrial period to meet the food and clothing needs. Of interest is also the church of St. Theodoron.

In Votonosi archaeologists discovered a citadel of the classical period, now known under the name Lachanokastro. From previous research in Votonosi have been found at the foot of the citadel several inscribed tombstones, which were built in the retaining walls of the fields in Tria Hania. Bronze vases and pottery were found elsewhere, demonstrating the importance of the region that is located in the old road Ioannina - Metsovo - Kalambaka and was the ancient crossing of Pindos. Notable are the church of the Transfiguration, with ornate wooden templon and the settlement Myli, where there are ruins of old mills. The houses in the area are built following the standard Metsovian form of a three-room house with closed wooden balcony (kepegki), which is usually made of wood.

Remarkable cultural monuments of Milia are the church of St. Nicholas that was built in the 16th century, the one of St. Athanasios and the one of Panagia. Of interest are the fulling mill at the village entrance, the derelict watermills and the information kiosk for the Nature and Culture, from where you can retrieve information about the Pindos National Park - Valia Kalda, the paths and the nature of the area.