#91 Fountain "Arapis"

Location

The famous fountain is located in the central square of the village next to the historical plane tree. The village is 65 km. far from Ioannina. The settlement, built amphitheatrically in the foothills of Strougkoula (alt. 2112 m.), is surrounded by the settlements Tsopela and Christon and is considered one of the oldest settlements of the area.

 

Construction Data

 

Historical Data

The prominent stone fountain adorns the central square in Pramanta. The work of the well-known stone-sculptor B. Georgaki (1887) simulates a human head with a water pump in its mouth. The name "Arapis", according to tradition, was given because in this place, on June of 1821, a Pramantiotissa (a girl from Prtamanta) slaughtered, during a battle with an army of Turks, the Turk taxer of the area.

West of the village are preserved ruins of ancient walls and foundations and evident solid foundations of rectangular towers. Notable are the churches of Agia Paraskevi (16th century) and the one of Panagia (19th century). Special is the Monastery of Agia Paraskevi that is located just outside the village, with a big church, a three-aisled church, the majestic cave Anemotrypa, with a length of 350 m., which is located before the village, at an altitude of 900 meters.

Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The "proud Tzoumerka" as mentioned by the folk music tradition, generously offers a plethora of pictures and colors to the visitor. They are characterized by the changes in the landscape and the very tall, snow-capped mountains. They feature un-spoilt natural environment and rich cultural tradition, a variety of historical monuments (archaeological sites, oracles) and museums. The traditional villages, traditions and customs, hospitality, traditional music and gastronomy meet the requirements of even the most demanding visitor.

The region of the Northern Tzoumerka has common historical, social, economic and cultural characteristics, however each village gives its own touch, its own distinctive feature, thus completing the fantastic mosaic called Tzoumerka.

At the villages one can find antiquities (remnants of walls, tombs, etc.), Byzantine and post-Byzantine monuments (monasteries, churches), stone bridges (Sopatou (Syrrako bridge) the Filou (Kalarrytes), of Christon (Christs) etc.) houses (eg. Balomenou House in Ampelochori) and pre-industrial buildings (eg. watermill with the fulling and the mantania of Ad. Tsaktsiras in Pramanda). In each region the monastery-churches that stand out are: The Holy Monastery of Agia Paraskevi in Pramanda, the Church of Agia Paraskevi in Ampelochori, the Church Taxiarchis in Petrovouni, the Church of St. Nicholas in Kalentzi, the Monastery of Phaneromeni in Fortosi, the Church of Prophet Ilias in Daphnoula, the churches of Saint Vlassis and Assumption of Mary in Elliniko, the church of Zoodochou Pigi and the Temple of St.. Nicholas in Kalarrites. However there are many more remarkable churches-monasteries to visit.

Tzoumerka, apart from the historical-cultural interest, has obtained in the recent years loyal tourist admirersthatives which visit the area also for the numerous sport and outdoor activities that it offers. Hiking, mountain bike (easy and hard routes), canyoning (in Petrovouni and Paterou canyons), rafting and kayak (in Arachtos Kalarrytikos Aoo) are just some of the activities in which fans of alternative tourism can engage in. In addition, some of the most adventurous activities at the mountain is climbing, rappelling (rappel) and the air passage (flying fox), while alternative tourism companies in the region provide the opportunity to practice archery.



Finally, the area of Tzoumerka has many shops, restaurants, cafes, hotels and rooms to let, traditional market, shops selling local products and folk art, covering the requirements of even the most demanding visitor.