#95 Museum of Papagiannis

Location

The Museum is located in Elliniko of Ioannina. It is housed in the space of the former Primary School and includes works of the famous sculptor and professor of A.S.K.T. Theodoros Papagiannis. His collections include works with intense ecological consciousness, works that refer to the local history, the memories of the artist from his school years in the village.

Elliniko belongs to the municipality of Voreia Tzoumerka of the Regional Unit of Ioannina, which is located in the Region of Epirus, according to the administrative division of Greece, as it was formed with the Programm "Kallikratis". Capital center of the Municipality is Pramanta and belongs to the geographical district of Epirus. Elliniko has an altitude of 740 m. and is 20 km. far from Ioannina.


Construction Data

The Museum is housed in the building of the old School, there where the villagers learned their first letters. It was built by remarkable masters of Epirus with money of another villager and benefactor Nikolaos Mantelopoulos. At a time, it housed a school of 150 children, who gave life and joy to the village. The school building is a stone and extended one, with lots of windows.

The museum is divided to three rooms and consists of the following exhibits:

Entrance: Benefactors, Famous Greek and Foreign People, Modern Sculpture with an essence of Antiguity, Marina Lampraki Plaka



1. BREAD: The Bread, Th. P., Bucolic, Busts of Famous People.

2. BREAD: The Dutch oven, Volosouras, Micro-sculpture, the farmer, the fountain, the Pen, the Milking, the threshing, the Trough, the Lament, the Separation, the shepherd, the shed, the bullpen.

3. Benefactors, Travellers - Immigrants, Mothers from Epirus, The Easter dance in Elliniko, Birds, Spindles and rods.

4. Audience, Students and Teachers, Theodoros Kolokotronis, Georgios Karaiskakis.

 

Historical Data

The village Elliniko with the older name Louzetsi, has notable monuments such as the old watermills Manteli and Vrania, the fountains, the church of the Assumption [Kimisi Theotokou] (1661) and the historical monastery of Tsouka in re ravine of Arachthos. The Holy Monastery of Tsouka is located to the edge of the cliff of Archthos' ravine and according to tradition it was built by the Emperor Isaakios II Aggelos. He, in the same region, also built a Byzantine castle, where are preserved its ruins till today. Around 1730 the monastery is destroyed and is rebuilt in 1736. The monastery has a fortified character with a stone bell tower (1866) and cells to the southwest and north side.


Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The "proud Tzoumerka" as mentioned by the folk music tradition, generously offers a plethora of pictures and colors to the visitor. They are characterized by the changes in the landscape and the very tall, snow-capped mountains. They feature un-spoilt natural environment and rich cultural tradition, a variety of historical monuments (archaeological sites, oracles) and museums. The traditional villages, traditions and customs, hospitality, traditional music and gastronomy meet the requirements of even the most demanding visitor.

The region of the Northern Tzoumerka has common historical, social, economic and cultural characteristics, however each village gives its own touch, its own distinctive feature, thus completing the fantastic mosaic called Tzoumerka.

At the villages one can find antiquities (remnants of walls, tombs, etc.), Byzantine and post-Byzantine monuments (monasteries, churches), stone bridges (Sopatou (Syrrako bridge) the Filou (Kalarrytes), of Christon (Christs) etc.) houses (eg. Balomenou House in Ampelochori) and pre-industrial buildings (eg. watermill with the fulling and the mantania of Ad. Tsaktsiras in Pramanda). In each region the monastery-churches that stand out are: The Holy Monastery of Agia Paraskevi in Pramanda, the Church of Agia Paraskevi in Ampelochori, the Church Taxiarchis in Petrovouni, the Church of St. Nicholas in Kalentzi, the Monastery of Phaneromeni in Fortosi, the Church of Prophet Ilias in Daphnoula, the churches of Saint Vlassis and Assumption of Mary in Elliniko, the church of Zoodochou Pigi and the Temple of St.. Nicholas in Kalarrites. However there are many more remarkable churches-monasteries to visit.

Tzoumerka, apart from the historical-cultural interest, has obtained in the recent years loyal tourist admirersthatives which visit the area also for the numerous sport and outdoor activities that it offers. Hiking, mountain bike (easy and hard routes), canyoning (in Petrovouni and Paterou canyons), rafting and kayak (in Arachtos Kalarrytikos Aoo) are just some of the activities in which fans of alternative tourism can engage in. In addition, some of the most adventurous activities at the mountain is climbing, rappelling (rappel) and the air passage (flying fox), while alternative tourism companies in the region provide the opportunity to practice archery.



Finally, the area of Tzoumerka has many shops, restaurants, cafes, hotels and rooms to let, traditional market, shops selling local products and folk art, covering the requirements of even the most demanding visitor.