#98 Monastery of Saint Paraskevi (Palaiochori)

Location

Paleochori of Syrrako is a small mountainous village, extended to a large farmland of 22 km2, in the steep western foothills of central Pindos. The village is extended between the mountain range of Priza and the fir forest of Vrizoyopi and borders with the municiap districts of Prosilio, Michalitsi, Potistika, Anatoliki and the community of Vathypedo.

Near the village is located the spring of Agios Georgios (St. George). From there someone can visit the Holy Monastery of Agia Paraskevi, the protector of waters. In place Chalasmata is built the Holy Monastery of Agia Paraskevi. More specifically, with a direction towards Syrrako, after passing the spring of Agios Georgios in the fir trees, we find a path that starts just after the village.

The monastery, which is almost unknown and probably deserted, we find it in about one hour.

 

Construction Data

The monastery is built to the southwestern side of the mountain lift Priza. Today it's deserted

Previously, until 1995, after the Lity in the monastery of Agia Paraskevi (July 26th), took place a feast without music instruments, in which sang the people from Paleochori, who participated, and was given a boiled goat, a donation of the Priest Fasouli.

Today survives mostly the catholicon of the monastery with a pronaos, main church and two inside domes. Notable are the icons of byzantine style that date back to 1878.

 

Historical Data

The village during Ottoman Occupation and until 1880 was a single community along with today's Syrrako, which was along with neighboring villages under the province of Malakasi. Paleochori was separated from Syrrako in 1880, when grantee was Goulas Anastasios Topalis (Goulas Tasios). Despite the insisted objections of the people from Syrrako, who didn't want the separation. The limits of the two communities were set to the top of Tsarkou-Prizas-Plinou. The tradition bears as a core the today-known Paleochori. The immediate link is shown by the lifestyle, the ethics and customs, the many place names with names from Syrrako and Paleochori and from the common Vlach language. Paleochori was liberated from Turks in late of 1912, when a body of rebels evzones Cretans with a chief the captain Trypogiorgo chased away the invaders from the outpost of Trika and chased them to the bridge of Papastathi, in river Arachthos.


Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The "proud Tzoumerka" as mentioned by the folk music tradition, generously offers a plethora of pictures and colors to the visitor. They are characterized by the changes in the landscape and the very tall, snow-capped mountains. They feature un-spoilt natural environment and rich cultural tradition, a variety of historical monuments (archaeological sites, oracles) and museums. The traditional villages, traditions and customs, hospitality, traditional music and gastronomy meet the requirements of even the most demanding visitor.

The region of the Northern Tzoumerka has common historical, social, economic and cultural characteristics, however each village gives its own touch, its own distinctive feature, thus completing the fantastic mosaic called Tzoumerka.

At the villages one can find antiquities (remnants of walls, tombs, etc.), Byzantine and post-Byzantine monuments (monasteries, churches), stone bridges (Sopatou (Syrrako bridge) the Filou (Kalarrytes), of Christon (Christs) etc.) houses (eg. Balomenou House in Ampelochori) and pre-industrial buildings (eg. watermill with the fulling and the mantania of Ad. Tsaktsiras in Pramanda). In each region the monastery-churches that stand out are: The Holy Monastery of Agia Paraskevi in Pramanda, the Church of Agia Paraskevi in Ampelochori, the Church Taxiarchis in Petrovouni, the Church of St. Nicholas in Kalentzi, the Monastery of Phaneromeni in Fortosi, the Church of Prophet Ilias in Daphnoula, the churches of Saint Vlassis and Assumption of Mary in Elliniko, the church of Zoodochou Pigi and the Temple of St.. Nicholas in Kalarrites. However there are many more remarkable churches-monasteries to visit.

Tzoumerka, apart from the historical-cultural interest, has obtained in the recent years loyal tourist admirersthatives which visit the area also for the numerous sport and outdoor activities that it offers. Hiking, mountain bike (easy and hard routes), canyoning (in Petrovouni and Paterou canyons), rafting and kayak (in Arachtos Kalarrytikos Aoo) are just some of the activities in which fans of alternative tourism can engage in. In addition, some of the most adventurous activities at the mountain is climbing, rappelling (rappel) and the air passage (flying fox), while alternative tourism companies in the region provide the opportunity to practice archery.



Finally, the area of Tzoumerka has many shops, restaurants, cafes, hotels and rooms to let, traditional market, shops selling local products and folk art, covering the requirements of even the most demanding visitor.