#104 Monastery of Paliouri

Location

In the village (30 km, Ioanninon Igoumenitsa) on the old road that connects Ioannina to Igoumenitsa is the Monastery Paliouri.

Construction Data

Architecturally, the church is a three-aisled basilica with one external and 12 internal domes which are supported by eight pillars. The damaged vestibule, which was on the south side, was replaced by a loggia.

Inside, the rich pictorial decoration isn't well preserved, and in some places has collapsed. The wooden iconostasis of the church is simple and adorned with pictures in Dodekaorton.

Historical Data

The monastery is named after the spinous bushes, the paliouria, which are located in the area.

The monastery dates from the 17th century and after disasters caused by extensive fire, was rebuilt in 1796. A series of disasters struck the monastery while successive restoration projects gave it its present appearance.

The historic monastery had substantial assets, both derived from donations of monks, and activities of the monastery itself. Noteworthy is the fact that the monastery "was not distinguished for the its good doings " (Dimitris Kamaroulias, Monasteries of Epirus. Bastas - Plessas, Athens 1996), however, its festival was famous , in which people flocked from all over the continent.

Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The area of Zitsa consists of two counties with various environmental and cultural characteristics which makes it interesting as a whole. Beautiful villages exist in almost all the territory of the municipality, which are impressive both for their architecture and urban organization, and also for the activity they have shown throughout the course of their history.

Zitsa has linked its name with its winery and its production of famous wines with a Protected Designation of Origin. Famous wineries, but smaller producers, members of the local cooperative, supplying almost all of the world's with their renowned wines.

In Zitsa the "Vadokeios Library" can be found, which houses over 3,000 books. Moreover in Zitsa we encounter another culture birthplace, the gallery prints, while near the church of St. Nicholas Folklore a museum is open with exhibits that reveal the lifestyle of residents and artistic subtlety of local artists.

South of Zitsa, the village Karitsa exists with an elevation of 580 m. The village is 24 km. from Ioannina. This is one of the most historic villages.

At Lithinos one of the two natural stone bridges of Kalamas exist, the Theogefyro, derived from erosion of rock. Opposite Lithinos is the monastery of Fathers, founded in 1590 and is dedicated to the Assumption.

Within the are of Protopapas the central church, St. Nicholas stands, built in 1808 with the financial support of the villagers and Mukhtar, son of Ali Pasha.

The village Rajko was the historic passage of Kalamas, known for its old bridge, which fell in 1902 Today, some remnants of the Turkish outpost of the bridge exist.

The historic village of Klimatia with origins from ancient times and lead of the municipality of Evrimenon refers to Chrisovoulo (1321) by Andronikos Palaiologos. Near the church of the Virgin Mary, between the river, the village and the pit skinny, there are traces of an ancient castle, at the "Greek Litharia." On top of a small hill northwest of the village is the old monastery of the Transformation of the Savior Veltsistas.

In Paliouri, an old bridge is saved, which dates from 1835 and is located on the River Smolitsa. Also of interest are the churches of Agia Paraskevi, Agios Nikolaos, Agios Panteleimon and St. George. Below the village we find the historic Paliouri monastery, dedicated to the Nativity of the Theotokos and known for its big festival, which takes place on September 8th.

Kourenta is built on the back of St George over Korakolakkos in a magnificent location, which previously was overgrown by vines.

At an altitude of 770m. In the west of the peak Kasidiari is the village Aetopetra or "Kosoliani" as it is known to the eldest. A passage of great archaeological interest, since the discovery of tombs, ancient coins with the inscription "Apeirotan 'and pottery.

The Vlachatano has four beautiful churches, the town of St. George, St. John, Prophet Elijah and St. Paraskevi, built in 1628 and historiated in 1706.

East of the village Rodotopi, at the foot of the Castri Gardikiou hill, there is one of the most important archaeological sites in the region of Epirus, the Temple of Zeus, which dates from the 4th century BC. The temple was an official sanctuary of the Molossians.

At the western end of Eleousas is the old church of the monastery of St. George, which dates from 1778.


 

 


#105 Watermill of Paliouri

Location

The lush vegetation of the area of the former municipality Evrimenon has a strong presence on the walls of the old mill Paliouri.

 

Construction Data

The mill contains a ground floor stone building of simple folk architecture and Gamma layout plan which includes the main venue of the watermill in the large address space and the miller's residence within the short address. In the stone structure are distinguished at intervals arches of stone which support the entire roof which also has a dome shape and coating slate.

The interior of the main floor area was paved while the frames were of simple wooden form. Particularly in the main room from the inside the lintel was in archer form while outside was it plain stone lintel.


Historical Data

The traditional mill is an excellent example of traditional architecture, and gives important information about the habitants way of life.

The system of the mill was quite simple but very practical. A furrow which starts from a higher point of the river ,drove the water in an inclined tube "kanalo", which narrows down ,so that the water falls with more pressure on a wooden wheel, which rotates at a constant speed and in smooth circular motion. The impeller was connected to a vertical shaft to transmit the motion to the grindstone. After the passage of the impeller the water continues to flow down the mill and ends at the river.

Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The area of Zitsa consists of two counties with various environmental and cultural characteristics which makes it interesting as a whole. Beautiful villages exist in almost all the territory of the municipality, which are impressive both for their architecture and urban organization, and also for the activity they have shown throughout the course of their history.

Zitsa has linked its name with its winery and its production of famous wines with a Protected Designation of Origin. Famous wineries, but smaller producers, members of the local cooperative, supplying almost all of the world's with their renowned wines.

In Zitsa the "Vadokeios Library" can be found, which houses over 3,000 books. Moreover in Zitsa we encounter another culture birthplace, the gallery prints, while near the church of St. Nicholas Folklore a museum is open with exhibits that reveal the lifestyle of residents and artistic subtlety of local artists.

South of Zitsa, the village Karitsa exists with an elevation of 580 m. The village is 24 km. from Ioannina. This is one of the most historic villages.

At Lithinos one of the two natural stone bridges of Kalamas exist, the Theogefyro, derived from erosion of rock. Opposite Lithinos is the monastery of Fathers, founded in 1590 and is dedicated to the Assumption.

Within the are of Protopapas the central church, St. Nicholas stands, built in 1808 with the financial support of the villagers and Mukhtar, son of Ali Pasha.

The village Rajko was the historic passage of Kalamas, known for its old bridge, which fell in 1902 Today, some remnants of the Turkish outpost of the bridge exist.

The historic village of Klimatia with origins from ancient times and lead of the municipality of Evrimenon refers to Chrisovoulo (1321) by Andronikos Palaiologos. Near the church of the Virgin Mary, between the river, the village and the pit skinny, there are traces of an ancient castle, at the "Greek Litharia." On top of a small hill northwest of the village is the old monastery of the Transformation of the Savior Veltsistas.

In Paliouri, an old bridge is saved, which dates from 1835 and is located on the River Smolitsa. Also of interest are the churches of Agia Paraskevi, Agios Nikolaos, Agios Panteleimon and St. George. Below the village we find the historic Paliouri monastery, dedicated to the Nativity of the Theotokos and known for its big festival, which takes place on September 8th.

Kourenta is built on the back of St George over Korakolakkos in a magnificent location, which previously was overgrown by vines.

At an altitude of 770m. In the west of the peak Kasidiari is the village Aetopetra or "Kosoliani" as it is known to the eldest. A passage of great archaeological interest, since the discovery of tombs, ancient coins with the inscription "Apeirotan 'and pottery.

The Vlachatano has four beautiful churches, the town of St. George, St. John, Prophet Elijah and St. Paraskevi, built in 1628 and historiated in 1706.

East of the village Rodotopi, at the foot of the Castri Gardikiou hill, there is one of the most important archaeological sites in the region of Epirus, the Temple of Zeus, which dates from the 4th century BC. The temple was an official sanctuary of the Molossians.

At the western end of Eleousas is the old church of the monastery of St. George, which dates from 1778.

 

 



#106 Monastery of Raidiotissa

Location

Location: Vrosina

On cliffs near the river Zalongitiko the Monastery of Raidiotissa impresses with its special construction.



Construction Data

From the stractures of the monastery complex, currently are preserved the katholikon, a small domed temple that rests on columns. The interior of the church is full of Byzantine style icons, which however survived, with significant damage.





Historical Data

Built in 1628, the monastery is dedicated to the Assumption of Mary. At times in its long history, it found periods of prosperity while it had in its possession ,other than land and sheep, a mill and bakery which served the needs of the monastery.

The monastery is built on a steep recess, while its cells balance on the brink of the rocks.





Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The area of Zitsa consists of two counties with various environmental and cultural characteristics which makes it interesting as a whole. Beautiful villages exist in almost all the territory of the municipality, which are impressive both for their architecture and urban organization, and also for the activity they have shown throughout the course of their history.

Zitsa has linked its name with its winery and its production of famous wines with a Protected Designation of Origin. Famous wineries, but smaller producers, members of the local cooperative, supplying almost all of the world's with their renowned wines.

In Zitsa the "Vadokeios Library" can be found, which houses over 3,000 books. Moreover in Zitsa we encounter another culture birthplace, the gallery prints, while near the church of St. Nicholas Folklore a museum is open with exhibits that reveal the lifestyle of residents and artistic subtlety of local artists.

South of Zitsa, the village Karitsa exists with an elevation of 580 m. The village is 24 km. from Ioannina. This is one of the most historic villages.

At Lithinos one of the two natural stone bridges of Kalamas exist, the Theogefyro, derived from erosion of rock. Opposite Lithinos is the monastery of Fathers, founded in 1590 and is dedicated to the Assumption.

Within the are of Protopapas the central church, St. Nicholas stands, built in 1808 with the financial support of the villagers and Mukhtar, son of Ali Pasha.

The village Rajko was the historic passage of Kalamas, known for its old bridge, which fell in 1902 Today, some remnants of the Turkish outpost of the bridge exist.

The historic village of Klimatia with origins from ancient times and lead of the municipality of Evrimenon refers to Chrisovoulo (1321) by Andronikos Palaiologos. Near the church of the Virgin Mary, between the river, the village and the pit skinny, there are traces of an ancient castle, at the "Greek Litharia." On top of a small hill northwest of the village is the old monastery of the Transformation of the Savior Veltsistas.

In Paliouri, an old bridge is saved, which dates from 1835 and is located on the River Smolitsa. Also of interest are the churches of Agia Paraskevi, Agios Nikolaos, Agios Panteleimon and St. George. Below the village we find the historic Paliouri monastery, dedicated to the Nativity of the Theotokos and known for its big festival, which takes place on September 8th.

Kourenta is built on the back of St George over Korakolakkos in a magnificent location, which previously was overgrown by vines.

At an altitude of 770m. In the west of the peak Kasidiari is the village Aetopetra or "Kosoliani" as it is known to the eldest. A passage of great archaeological interest, since the discovery of tombs, ancient coins with the inscription "Apeirotan 'and pottery.

The Vlachatano has four beautiful churches, the town of St. George, St. John, Prophet Elijah and St. Paraskevi, built in 1628 and historiated in 1706.

East of the village Rodotopi, at the foot of the Castri Gardikiou hill, there is one of the most important archaeological sites in the region of Epirus, the Temple of Zeus, which dates from the 4th century BC. The temple was an official sanctuary of the Molossians.

At the western end of Eleousas is the old church of the monastery of St. George, which dates from 1778.







 


#107 Monastery of Trazanitisa

Location

Near the village of Vrosina, on top of a hill, lies the monastery of Tranzanitissa.

 

Construction Data

It is a cross-roofed basilica with narthex, nave and sanctuary. Inside, frescoes we distinguish only on the dome, while there are some portable pictures, one of which is that of Agia Paraskevi, which is dedicated the monastery.

 

Historical Data

It has not been clear yet whether the monastery was achurch or if an old dependency of the neighboring monastery of Raidiotissa. The monastery dates back to 1597.

 

Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The area of Zitsa consists of two counties with various environmental and cultural characteristics which makes it interesting as a whole. Beautiful villages exist in almost all the territory of the municipality, which are impressive both for their architecture and urban organization, and also for the activity they have shown throughout the course of their history.

Zitsa has linked its name with its winery and its production of famous wines with a Protected Designation of Origin. Famous wineries, but smaller producers, members of the local cooperative, supplying almost all of the world's with their renowned wines.

In Zitsa the "Vadokeios Library" can be found, which houses over 3,000 books. Moreover in Zitsa we encounter another culture birthplace, the gallery prints, while near the church of St. Nicholas Folklore a museum is open with exhibits that reveal the lifestyle of residents and artistic subtlety of local artists.

South of Zitsa, the village Karitsa exists with an elevation of 580 m. The village is 24 km. from Ioannina. This is one of the most historic villages.

At Lithinos one of the two natural stone bridges of Kalamas exist, the Theogefyro, derived from erosion of rock. Opposite Lithinos is the monastery of Fathers, founded in 1590 and is dedicated to the Assumption.

Within the are of Protopapas the central church, St. Nicholas stands, built in 1808 with the financial support of the villagers and Mukhtar, son of Ali Pasha.

The village Rajko was the historic passage of Kalamas, known for its old bridge, which fell in 1902 Today, some remnants of the Turkish outpost of the bridge exist.

The historic village of Klimatia with origins from ancient times and lead of the municipality of Evrimenon refers to Chrisovoulo (1321) by Andronikos Palaiologos. Near the church of the Virgin Mary, between the river, the village and the pit skinny, there are traces of an ancient castle, at the "Greek Litharia." On top of a small hill northwest of the village is the old monastery of the Transformation of the Savior Veltsistas.

In Paliouri, an old bridge is saved, which dates from 1835 and is located on the River Smolitsa. Also of interest are the churches of Agia Paraskevi, Agios Nikolaos, Agios Panteleimon and St. George. Below the village we find the historic Paliouri monastery, dedicated to the Nativity of the Theotokos and known for its big festival, which takes place on September 8th.

Kourenta is built on the back of St George over Korakolakkos in a magnificent location, which previously was overgrown by vines.

At an altitude of 770m. In the west of the peak Kasidiari is the village Aetopetra or "Kosoliani" as it is known to the eldest. A passage of great archaeological interest, since the discovery of tombs, ancient coins with the inscription "Apeirotan 'and pottery.

The Vlachatano has four beautiful churches, the town of St. George, St. John, Prophet Elijah and St. Paraskevi, built in 1628 and historiated in 1706.

East of the village Rodotopi, at the foot of the Castri Gardikiou hill, there is one of the most important archaeological sites in the region of Epirus, the Temple of Zeus, which dates from the 4th century BC. The temple was an official sanctuary of the Molossians.

At the western end of Eleousas is the old church of the monastery of St. George, which dates from 1778.


 

 


#108 Monastery of Prophet Ilias (Zitsa)

Location

On top of a hill (altitude. 780 m.), in the center of a wooded area, lies the Monastery of Prophet Elias.

 

Construction Data

Architecturally, the church and bell tower of the historic church stand out. The ledger is a basilica, which includes the vestibule, the nave and the sanctuary.

On the west side of the complex, there was masonry, in which the bell tower was attached, while in the middle there was a square, around of which extended smaller outbuildings. The entire monastery was enclosed by high walls, which rendered it impregnable by robbers.

The interior is full of paintings, which are attributed to John, George and Dimitrios from Gramosta, however, they have been severely damaged by time. The iconographic program mainly includes full-length depictions of saints, among them the distinguished dedicatory of Gregory display , while on the southern side of the narthex is painted the life of neo-martyr John of Ioannina.

 

Historical Data

It is one of the most important monasteries in Epirus, which because of its physical location and its rich religious and social action, is contained in numerous reports, from both Greek historians and writers, as well as great foreign tourists. References of Lord Byron and Emperor Maximilian of Mexico stand out.

The monastery was built in the 14th century on the hill Thesviti, but moved in 1598 to its present location. Tradition has it that the transfer be due to wishes of the saint, since within a short period of time the image disappeared, with an unknown way from the monastery and found in the place where it is built today . According to other reports, the monastery associated with the historic church of Serbia, which is dedicated to the Holy Apostles.

Lord Byron was hosted in the monastery for two days in October 1809. Enchanted by its beauty, he praised the region in his poetic work, "Childe Harold 's Pilgrimage".In 1848 the prince and later emperor Maximilian of Mexico was found in the monastery and impressed by the location he carved on the wall of his cell " Oh Zitsa happy whoever saw your natural parlors, happier whoever enjoys your charms, your magical places bear the thought of man's existence". Among the guests of the monastery was also the French Consul and traveler Pouqueville. Reports of famous travelers of the monastery, had resulted in an increase of visitors to the wider range of Zitsas.

The monastery grew rapidly, acquiring great wealth, which is reflected in the impressive buildings. Informative is the reference Economou (Dimitris Kamaroulias, Monasteries of Epirus, Bastas Plessas, Athens 1996) who informs us about the monastery, that it was a two-story complex, which consisted of the ground floor, where the food stores were, the cellars, hideaways and stables for animals, and the upper floor which housed the cells, in front of which stretched the beds.

In cells resided, other than the abbot of the monastery, the monks, the priest of the monastery and the support staff. In a corner cell towards the southwest side resided ,according to tradition, Lordos Byron.

Notable are the references that are made to the wealth of the monastery, which had dependencies in Romania and Russia. Among the benefactors include great personalities of the era, such as Ecumenical Patriarch Jeremiah of Constantinople, emperors of Russia, Vladimir, Alexander, Alexis - Nicholas, Olgawe, and Catherine and Theodorovna, as well as numerous high priests.

The thriving monastery course will be discontinued abruptly after the 18th century, when issues of mismanagement will lead the monastery into a prolonged recession, which will end with the final devastation of the monastery in the 19th century.

The great monastery throughout the course of history was an important educational center, hosting periodically school within the complex, while we must not overlook its contribution to the nation, since at the premises of the monastery meetings of notables of Zitsas took place ,and surrounding areas on national issues whilst rebel groups took refuge within its walls.


Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The area of Zitsa consists of two counties with various environmental and cultural characteristics which makes it interesting as a whole. Beautiful villages exist in almost all the territory of the municipality, which are impressive both for their architecture and urban organization, and also for the activity they have shown throughout the course of their history.

Zitsa has linked its name with its winery and its production of famous wines with a Protected Designation of Origin. Famous wineries, but smaller producers, members of the local cooperative, supplying almost all of the world's with their renowned wines.

In Zitsa the "Vadokeios Library" can be found, which houses over 3,000 books. Moreover in Zitsa we encounter another culture birthplace, the gallery prints, while near the church of St. Nicholas Folklore a museum is open with exhibits that reveal the lifestyle of residents and artistic subtlety of local artists.

South of Zitsa, the village Karitsa exists with an elevation of 580 m. The village is 24 km. from Ioannina. This is one of the most historic villages.

At Lithinos one of the two natural stone bridges of Kalamas exist, the Theogefyro, derived from erosion of rock. Opposite Lithinos is the monastery of Fathers, founded in 1590 and is dedicated to the Assumption.

Within the are of Protopapas the central church, St. Nicholas stands, built in 1808 with the financial support of the villagers and Mukhtar, son of Ali Pasha.

The village Rajko was the historic passage of Kalamas, known for its old bridge, which fell in 1902 Today, some remnants of the Turkish outpost of the bridge exist.

The historic village of Klimatia with origins from ancient times and lead of the municipality of Evrimenon refers to Chrisovoulo (1321) by Andronikos Palaiologos. Near the church of the Virgin Mary, between the river, the village and the pit skinny, there are traces of an ancient castle, at the "Greek Litharia." On top of a small hill northwest of the village is the old monastery of the Transformation of the Savior Veltsistas.

In Paliouri, an old bridge is saved, which dates from 1835 and is located on the River Smolitsa. Also of interest are the churches of Agia Paraskevi, Agios Nikolaos, Agios Panteleimon and St. George. Below the village we find the historic Paliouri monastery, dedicated to the Nativity of the Theotokos and known for its big festival, which takes place on September 8th.

Kourenta is built on the back of St George over Korakolakkos in a magnificent location, which previously was overgrown by vines.

At an altitude of 770m. In the west of the peak Kasidiari is the village Aetopetra or "Kosoliani" as it is known to the eldest. A passage of great archaeological interest, since the discovery of tombs, ancient coins with the inscription "Apeirotan 'and pottery.

The Vlachatano has four beautiful churches, the town of St. George, St. John, Prophet Elijah and St. Paraskevi, built in 1628 and historiated in 1706.

East of the village Rodotopi, at the foot of the Castri Gardikiou hill, there is one of the most important archaeological sites in the region of Epirus, the Temple of Zeus, which dates from the 4th century BC. The temple was an official sanctuary of the Molossians.

At the western end of Eleousas is the old church of the monastery of St. George, which dates from 1778.


 

 


#109 Lithino Settlement

Location

Lithino belongs to the municipality of Zitsa of the Regional Unit of Ioannina that is located in the Region of Epirus, according to the administrative division of Greece, how it was formed with the program "Kallikratis". The formal name is "To Lithinon". Capital center of the Municipality is Eleousa and belongs to the geographical district of Epirus.


Construction Data

The village Lithino, with its traditional stone houses and the picturesque streets is a special traditional settlement, where there are notable stone structures, beautiful manors, stone houses, kalderimia (cobbled paths) and squares.

The Pateron Monastery together with the Theogefyro (God's Bridge), are the main basic monuments of the area and of course the most interesting ones.

The Pateron Monastery is built opposite of the village Lithino, in a plateau of a low hill, at an altitude of 400 meters from the surface of sea, built in a forest with age long oak trees, which unfortunately today doesn't exist. It was in its long history, one of the richest monasteries of Epirus and together with it the one of Prophet Elias, one of the biggest. The historians even note that the Pateron monastery was richer and bigger than that of Prophet Elias in Zitsa.

Theogefyro (God's Bridge) is one of the most important sights if the area, for which wrote famous and unknown historians. To these people we owe so much of the knowledge of our local history. Among them are Panagiotis Aravantinos, Lord Byron, the already several times notes Ioannis Lambridis, Pouqueville and so many others.

The Achilles' Watermill: In the surrounding area there are two operating fulling mills and mantania. It is a system, which was used to smooth the wool of the known "heavy blankets", such as flokates (a woolen throw). It consists of a fteroti (mechanic part), an axis and four mallets. Fteroti with the water power rotates the axis, which raises and frees in succession the mallets. These mallets in their fall, they hit the blanket, which is placed on an even (horizontal) wooden beam.

 

Historical Data

It is still unknown to us, scientifically, when Lithino was inhabited for the first time, because no one was ever involved with the history of the village. The tradition says that Lithino becomes a settlement after the destruction of the village Grammenii, which was located in the area "Kavallari", above the communal road that connects the villages of Lithino and Sakellariko.

In this area there are still today some ruins that reveal us the existence of an older settlement. But the when and why, was the village of Grammenii destroyed, isn't scientifically documented today. For its destruction are set three versions, which are recorded by tradition and for which don't exist sufficient historical testimonies.

The one version, and the most known, says that the village was affected by Plague. It's a sickness that often appears in this era and causes important damages in human and animal population. The history notes the appearance of Plague even in the city of Ioannina, especially after 1822, a year that the siege of the castle ends with the beheading of Ali Pasha.

Therefore, for that to have happened in this era wasn't something strange or unreal. So it could have happened in the village Grammenii. According to this version, the villagers, in decimation, are obliged to leave. Other go to Koutroulades (Sakellariko), other to Grammenochoria and others create a new settlement opposite of Kalama, the one of Lithino. The tradition, which the older people believe in and believe it's true, says that from the relocation of the families to Grammenochoria, the village took its name, a name that comes from the village of Grammenii.


Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The area of Zitsa consists of two counties with various environmental and cultural characteristics which makes it interesting as a whole. Beautiful villages exist in almost all the territory of the municipality, which are impressive both for their architecture and urban organization, and also for the activity they have shown throughout the course of their history.

Zitsa has linked its name with its winery and its production of famous wines with a Protected Designation of Origin. Famous wineries, but smaller producers, members of the local cooperative, supplying almost all of the world's with their renowned wines.

In Zitsa the "Vadokeios Library" can be found, which houses over 3,000 books. Moreover in Zitsa we encounter another culture birthplace, the gallery prints, while near the church of St. Nicholas Folklore a museum is open with exhibits that reveal the lifestyle of residents and artistic subtlety of local artists.

South of Zitsa, the village Karitsa exists with an elevation of 580 m. The village is 24 km. from Ioannina. This is one of the most historic villages.

At Lithinos one of the two natural stone bridges of Kalamas exist, the Theogefyro, derived from erosion of rock. Opposite Lithinos is the monastery of Fathers, founded in 1590 and is dedicated to the Assumption.

Within the are of Protopapas the central church, St. Nicholas stands, built in 1808 with the financial support of the villagers and Mukhtar, son of Ali Pasha.

The village Rajko was the historic passage of Kalamas, known for its old bridge, which fell in 1902 Today, some remnants of the Turkish outpost of the bridge exist.

The historic village of Klimatia with origins from ancient times and lead of the municipality of Evrimenon refers to Chrisovoulo (1321) by Andronikos Palaiologos. Near the church of the Virgin Mary, between the river, the village and the pit skinny, there are traces of an ancient castle, at the "Greek Litharia." On top of a small hill northwest of the village is the old monastery of the Transformation of the Savior Veltsistas.

In Paliouri, an old bridge is saved, which dates from 1835 and is located on the River Smolitsa. Also of interest are the churches of Agia Paraskevi, Agios Nikolaos, Agios Panteleimon and St. George. Below the village we find the historic Paliouri monastery, dedicated to the Nativity of the Theotokos and known for its big festival, which takes place on September 8th.

Kourenta is built on the back of St George over Korakolakkos in a magnificent location, which previously was overgrown by vines.

At an altitude of 770m. In the west of the peak Kasidiari is the village Aetopetra or "Kosoliani" as it is known to the eldest. A passage of great archaeological interest, since the discovery of tombs, ancient coins with the inscription "Apeirotan 'and pottery.

The Vlachatano has four beautiful churches, the town of St. George, St. John, Prophet Elijah and St. Paraskevi, built in 1628 and historiated in 1706.

East of the village Rodotopi, at the foot of the Castri Gardikiou hill, there is one of the most important archaeological sites in the region of Epirus, the Temple of Zeus, which dates from the 4th century BC. The temple was an official sanctuary of the Molossians.

At the western end of Eleousas is the old church of the monastery of St. George, which dates from 1778.

 

 

 


#110 Pateron Monastery

Location

On the right bank of Kalamas, near the village of Lithino, is built one of the most important monasteries in Epirus.


Construction Data

Architecturally, "... the monastery has been affected by the standards of Agion Oros (Dimitris Kamaroulass, Monasteries of Epirus. Bastas - Plessas, Athens 1996). Its church is a cruciform tetrastyle with lateral semicircular - three sided exterior spaces and a tripartite narthex that is separated from the nave by tribelon and covered in the center by a blank small dome. The middle of the the paved temple is decorated with a large mud-brick circular umbilical. "

The interior of the monastery has paintings of the proportionate old prestige although today they show significant signs of wear. The temple of the monastery is carved, decorated by the painter Zitsaio Demetrius and dates from 1680.

Apart from the main temple, the monastery complex includes ruins of cells, a rainwater tank, part of the fence and crumbling warehouses. Moreover near the Monastery we find numerous caves, which were hermitages, but functioned before the foundation of the monastery.


Historical Data

The Monastery Pateron, built in 1590 and is dedicated to the Assumption. The historic monastery has developed relationships with the other important monastery of the Monastery of Prophet Elias, and as we are informed by Pouqueville, famous for its unsurpassed ability in winemaking.

The sources mentioned to the assets of the monastery, talk about vast tracts of land, while in its possession seems to be a large number of sheep and goat cells. Moreover, the priests of the monastery, at fundraisers conducted in Romania and Russia, managed to raise funds able to establish dependencies of Pateres Monastery in Vlachia, Moldova and Russia.

Noteworthy is certainly the educational and social work, since as we are informed by Oikonomou, the Monastery bought the village of Lithino, which was a Turk's manor , in order to relieve it from the oppressive treatment of the Turkish Aga. Within the monastery schools functioned for a long time. Especially when the number of students increased, the monastery built a new school in Zitsa , the cost of which was covered almost entirely, by the Monastery.

The confiscation of the property in Romania and the mismanagement of the revenues from the monks, brought devastating consequences for the historic monastery. Since 1860, the course of the monastery begins to decline. In 1890 did not have the ability to pay the priest, and in 1910, after the death of the last abbot, the monastery was dissolved.


Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The area of Zitsa consists of two counties with various environmental and cultural characteristics which makes it interesting as a whole. Beautiful villages exist in almost all the territory of the municipality, which are impressive both for their architecture and urban organization, and also for the activity they have shown throughout the course of their history.

Zitsa has linked its name with its winery and its production of famous wines with a Protected Designation of Origin. Famous wineries, but smaller producers, members of the local cooperative, supplying almost all of the world's with their renowned wines.

In Zitsa the "Vadokeios Library" can be found, which houses over 3,000 books. Moreover in Zitsa we encounter another culture birthplace, the gallery prints, while near the church of St. Nicholas Folklore a museum is open with exhibits that reveal the lifestyle of residents and artistic subtlety of local artists.

South of Zitsa, the village Karitsa exists with an elevation of 580 m. The village is 24 km. from Ioannina. This is one of the most historic villages.

At Lithinos one of the two natural stone bridges of Kalamas exist, the Theogefyro, derived from erosion of rock. Opposite Lithinos is the monastery of Fathers, founded in 1590 and is dedicated to the Assumption.

Within the are of Protopapas the central church, St. Nicholas stands, built in 1808 with the financial support of the villagers and Mukhtar, son of Ali Pasha.

The village Rajko was the historic passage of Kalamas, known for its old bridge, which fell in 1902 Today, some remnants of the Turkish outpost of the bridge exist.

The historic village of Klimatia with origins from ancient times and lead of the municipality of Evrimenon refers to Chrisovoulo (1321) by Andronikos Palaiologos. Near the church of the Virgin Mary, between the river, the village and the pit skinny, there are traces of an ancient castle, at the "Greek Litharia." On top of a small hill northwest of the village is the old monastery of the Transformation of the Savior Veltsistas.

In Paliouri, an old bridge is saved, which dates from 1835 and is located on the River Smolitsa. Also of interest are the churches of Agia Paraskevi, Agios Nikolaos, Agios Panteleimon and St. George. Below the village we find the historic Paliouri monastery, dedicated to the Nativity of the Theotokos and known for its big festival, which takes place on September 8th.

Kourenta is built on the back of St George over Korakolakkos in a magnificent location, which previously was overgrown by vines.

At an altitude of 770m. In the west of the peak Kasidiari is the village Aetopetra or "Kosoliani" as it is known to the eldest. A passage of great archaeological interest, since the discovery of tombs, ancient coins with the inscription "Apeirotan 'and pottery.

The Vlachatano has four beautiful churches, the town of St. George, St. John, Prophet Elijah and St. Paraskevi, built in 1628 and historiated in 1706.

East of the village Rodotopi, at the foot of the Castri Gardikiou hill, there is one of the most important archaeological sites in the region of Epirus, the Temple of Zeus, which dates from the 4th century BC. The temple was an official sanctuary of the Molossians.

At the western end of Eleousas is the old church of the monastery of St. George, which dates from 1778.

 

 

 

 


#111 Monastery of Prophet Ilias (Despotiko)

Location

The monastery is located on a wooded hill between the villages Ekklisochori Despotiko.

 

Construction Data

It is a small monastery from which today only survives katholikon and the bell. The monastery is a basilica and includes apart from the main temple, the sanctuary.

Inside there is a preserved part of the old hagiography, and among the relics of the monastery stands a reliquary with the left hand of the St. Trifona.


Historical Data

The old monastery of Prophet Elias dates from 962.

 

Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The area of Zitsa consists of two counties with various environmental and cultural characteristics which makes it interesting as a whole. Beautiful villages exist in almost all the territory of the municipality, which are impressive both for their architecture and urban organization, and also for the activity they have shown throughout the course of their history.

Zitsa has linked its name with its winery and its production of famous wines with a Protected Designation of Origin. Famous wineries, but smaller producers, members of the local cooperative, supplying almost all of the world's with their renowned wines.

In Zitsa the "Vadokeios Library" can be found, which houses over 3,000 books. Moreover in Zitsa we encounter another culture birthplace, the gallery prints, while near the church of St. Nicholas Folklore a museum is open with exhibits that reveal the lifestyle of residents and artistic subtlety of local artists.

South of Zitsa, the village Karitsa exists with an elevation of 580 m. The village is 24 km. from Ioannina. This is one of the most historic villages.

At Lithinos one of the two natural stone bridges of Kalamas exist, the Theogefyro, derived from erosion of rock. Opposite Lithinos is the monastery of Fathers, founded in 1590 and is dedicated to the Assumption.

Within the are of Protopapas the central church, St. Nicholas stands, built in 1808 with the financial support of the villagers and Mukhtar, son of Ali Pasha.

The village Rajko was the historic passage of Kalamas, known for its old bridge, which fell in 1902 Today, some remnants of the Turkish outpost of the bridge exist.

The historic village of Klimatia with origins from ancient times and lead of the municipality of Evrimenon refers to Chrisovoulo (1321) by Andronikos Palaiologos. Near the church of the Virgin Mary, between the river, the village and the pit skinny, there are traces of an ancient castle, at the "Greek Litharia." On top of a small hill northwest of the village is the old monastery of the Transformation of the Savior Veltsistas.

In Paliouri, an old bridge is saved, which dates from 1835 and is located on the River Smolitsa. Also of interest are the churches of Agia Paraskevi, Agios Nikolaos, Agios Panteleimon and St. George. Below the village we find the historic Paliouri monastery, dedicated to the Nativity of the Theotokos and known for its big festival, which takes place on September 8th.

Kourenta is built on the back of St George over Korakolakkos in a magnificent location, which previously was overgrown by vines.

At an altitude of 770m. In the west of the peak Kasidiari is the village Aetopetra or "Kosoliani" as it is known to the eldest. A passage of great archaeological interest, since the discovery of tombs, ancient coins with the inscription "Apeirotan 'and pottery.

The Vlachatano has four beautiful churches, the town of St. George, St. John, Prophet Elijah and St. Paraskevi, built in 1628 and historiated in 1706.

East of the village Rodotopi, at the foot of the Castri Gardikiou hill, there is one of the most important archaeological sites in the region of Epirus, the Temple of Zeus, which dates from the 4th century BC. The temple was an official sanctuary of the Molossians.

At the western end of Eleousas is the old church of the monastery of St. George, which dates from 1778.

 

 

 

 


#112 Despotikou Mill

Location

Surrounded by lush greenery, the village Despotico, is the watermill and the fulling mill of the village, which is known to residents as the mill of Geromitsiani.


Construction Data

The traditional mill consists of a ground floor and a two-storey structure, which have received subsequent additions, but without having altered the traditional architecture.

The architecture of the building follows the traditional settlement pattern, according to which the building has been constructed with the technique of dry stone. The pre-industrial complex includes the space that houses the mechanism of the mill, while a separate loft is the resting place of the miller.

 

Historical Data

The traditional building dating in the 18th century, was built to serve the needs of residents of the village and the surrounding areas. The watermill has played an important role in the region, the 50s and 60s, when the fertile plains of the area was cultivated with cereals.

Nowadays the interest to grind with traditional media has languished while greater interest to visitors is the fulling mill, that residents still choose for beddings and blankets.

 

Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The area of Zitsa consists of two counties with various environmental and cultural characteristics which makes it interesting as a whole. Beautiful villages exist in almost all the territory of the municipality, which are impressive both for their architecture and urban organization, and also for the activity they have shown throughout the course of their history.

Zitsa has linked its name with its winery and its production of famous wines with a Protected Designation of Origin. Famous wineries, but smaller producers, members of the local cooperative, supplying almost all of the world's with their renowned wines.

In Zitsa the "Vadokeios Library" can be found, which houses over 3,000 books. Moreover in Zitsa we encounter another culture birthplace, the gallery prints, while near the church of St. Nicholas Folklore a museum is open with exhibits that reveal the lifestyle of residents and artistic subtlety of local artists.

South of Zitsa, the village Karitsa exists with an elevation of 580 m. The village is 24 km. from Ioannina. This is one of the most historic villages.

At Lithinos one of the two natural stone bridges of Kalamas exist, the Theogefyro, derived from erosion of rock. Opposite Lithinos is the monastery of Fathers, founded in 1590 and is dedicated to the Assumption.

Within the are of Protopapas the central church, St. Nicholas stands, built in 1808 with the financial support of the villagers and Mukhtar, son of Ali Pasha.

The village Rajko was the historic passage of Kalamas, known for its old bridge, which fell in 1902 Today, some remnants of the Turkish outpost of the bridge exist.

The historic village of Klimatia with origins from ancient times and lead of the municipality of Evrimenon refers to Chrisovoulo (1321) by Andronikos Palaiologos. Near the church of the Virgin Mary, between the river, the village and the pit skinny, there are traces of an ancient castle, at the "Greek Litharia." On top of a small hill northwest of the village is the old monastery of the Transformation of the Savior Veltsistas.

In Paliouri, an old bridge is saved, which dates from 1835 and is located on the River Smolitsa. Also of interest are the churches of Agia Paraskevi, Agios Nikolaos, Agios Panteleimon and St. George. Below the village we find the historic Paliouri monastery, dedicated to the Nativity of the Theotokos and known for its big festival, which takes place on September 8th.

Kourenta is built on the back of St George over Korakolakkos in a magnificent location, which previously was overgrown by vines.

At an altitude of 770m. In the west of the peak Kasidiari is the village Aetopetra or "Kosoliani" as it is known to the eldest. A passage of great archaeological interest, since the discovery of tombs, ancient coins with the inscription "Apeirotan 'and pottery.

The Vlachatano has four beautiful churches, the town of St. George, St. John, Prophet Elijah and St. Paraskevi, built in 1628 and historiated in 1706.

East of the village Rodotopi, at the foot of the Castri Gardikiou hill, there is one of the most important archaeological sites in the region of Epirus, the Temple of Zeus, which dates from the 4th century BC. The temple was an official sanctuary of the Molossians.

At the western end of Eleousas is the old church of the monastery of St. George, which dates from 1778.

 

 


#113 Aggelomachou Monastery

Location

In a small stream in the area, near the road leading to the village Giourganista, lies the Monastery Agelomachou .


Construction Data

The monastery, which has been badly damaged by time, consists of the katholikon, a cross-shaped basilica with a dome, while the interior of the church is decorated with remarkable wall paintings.


Historical Data

The monastery dates from 1779 and is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The monastery owes its name to a paraphrase of the name "Agelomarkos." The rich monastery, developed an important social work, maintaining the boarding school of the nearby community Kourenton.


Additional information of historical, cultural and tourism interest

The area of Zitsa consists of two counties with various environmental and cultural characteristics which makes it interesting as a whole. Beautiful villages exist in almost all the territory of the municipality, which are impressive both for their architecture and urban organization, and also for the activity they have shown throughout the course of their history.

Zitsa has linked its name with its winery and its production of famous wines with a Protected Designation of Origin. Famous wineries, but smaller producers, members of the local cooperative, supplying almost all of the world's with their renowned wines.

In Zitsa the "Vadokeios Library" can be found, which houses over 3,000 books. Moreover in Zitsa we encounter another culture birthplace, the gallery prints, while near the church of St. Nicholas Folklore a museum is open with exhibits that reveal the lifestyle of residents and artistic subtlety of local artists.

South of Zitsa, the village Karitsa exists with an elevation of 580 m. The village is 24 km. from Ioannina. This is one of the most historic villages.

At Lithinos one of the two natural stone bridges of Kalamas exist, the Theogefyro, derived from erosion of rock. Opposite Lithinos is the monastery of Fathers, founded in 1590 and is dedicated to the Assumption.

Within the are of Protopapas the central church, St. Nicholas stands, built in 1808 with the financial support of the villagers and Mukhtar, son of Ali Pasha.

The village Rajko was the historic passage of Kalamas, known for its old bridge, which fell in 1902 Today, some remnants of the Turkish outpost of the bridge exist.

The historic village of Klimatia with origins from ancient times and lead of the municipality of Evrimenon refers to Chrisovoulo (1321) by Andronikos Palaiologos. Near the church of the Virgin Mary, between the river, the village and the pit skinny, there are traces of an ancient castle, at the "Greek Litharia." On top of a small hill northwest of the village is the old monastery of the Transformation of the Savior Veltsistas.

In Paliouri, an old bridge is saved, which dates from 1835 and is located on the River Smolitsa. Also of interest are the churches of Agia Paraskevi, Agios Nikolaos, Agios Panteleimon and St. George. Below the village we find the historic Paliouri monastery, dedicated to the Nativity of the Theotokos and known for its big festival, which takes place on September 8th.

Kourenta is built on the back of St George over Korakolakkos in a magnificent location, which previously was overgrown by vines.

At an altitude of 770m. In the west of the peak Kasidiari is the village Aetopetra or "Kosoliani" as it is known to the eldest. A passage of great archaeological interest, since the discovery of tombs, ancient coins with the inscription "Apeirotan 'and pottery.

The Vlachatano has four beautiful churches, the town of St. George, St. John, Prophet Elijah and St. Paraskevi, built in 1628 and historiated in 1706.

East of the village Rodotopi, at the foot of the Castri Gardikiou hill, there is one of the most important archaeological sites in the region of Epirus, the Temple of Zeus, which dates from the 4th century BC. The temple was an official sanctuary of the Molossians.

At the western end of Eleousas is the old church of the monastery of St. George, which dates from 1778.